The accused person; Mamoud Tim Kargbo who allegedly libelled President Koroma on whatsApp by calling him a “wounded Beast” has finally been admitted to bail after several days in prison.
The accused was granted bail on the 7th May, 2015 when Magistrate Komba Kamanda of Court No.1 reviewed the bail conditions from Le100,000,000, and two sureties in like sum to Le50,000,000 and two sureties in like sum.
The review came after Defence Counsel Pious Sesay told the Magistrate that his client (accused) is suffering in prison and appealed that the bail conditions be reviewed, adding that his client is ready to defend himself.
The accused is standing trial on five count charges,
(1) calling a person by description other than his name contrary to section 3 (4) of the Public Order Act (POA) No. 46 of 1965,
(2) Knowingly publishing a false defamatory libel contrary to section 26 of the POA No. 46 of 1965,
(3) Knowingly publishing a false defamatory libel contrary to section 26 of the POA No. 46 of 1965,
(4) Defamatory Libel contrary to section 27 of the POA No.46 of 1965 and
(5) Defamatory Libel contrary to section 27 of the POA.
According to the particulars of offence, the accused on the 28th February, 2015 in Freetown with intent to annoy His Excellency of the Republic of Sierra Leone Ernest Bai Koroma called him a “wounded Beast” other than his name.
Also that the accused on the same date knowingly published a false material against the president in the form of written words in the WhatsApp Social Media Application to wit “President Koroma is a very strong suspect in the murder of the bodyguard.”
More so, that the accused in the form of a written word published in WhatsApp that “President Koroma at this point is a wounded beast who can do anything to remove the pressure off his back.”
The matter was adjourned to the 12th May, 2015 for prosecution witness one to testify.